It s a cryin shame.
It s really not that fair.
I ve this need for apostrophes,
but there isn t one to spare.
I ll find a way around it.
They re easy to replace.
Just use the missing letters
that used to take their place.
If you use the rules
it s not that hard to see
when you could ve used one
or where it shouldn t be.
I m sure that readers everywhere
will appreciate your time
eradicating excess ones
from each and every line.
And then there ll be some spare ones
so I can help you see
a proper use for the single quote;
as an a'p'os tro'phe.
(C) Copyright Herb Miller 2019
To see the missing letters, hover over the space where the apostrophe might have been.
When you’re writing HTML an apostrophe can be represented by:
' which may appear as '
’ which may appear as ’ – right single quotation mark
aka a curly closing single quote.
See Wikipedia for more information on Apostrophes, especially those showing omission.
when using WordPress
- When using the Gutenberg block editor, the chance of ‘ making a round trip and reappearing as ‘ in the editor is pretty slim.
- It gets converted to the character you may have wanted.
- Sometimes an apostrophe gets converted to a left single quotation mark.
- This is due to texturisation logic trying to match left and right single quotation marks.
- Gor blimey guv’nor, that’s what’s ‘appen’d ‘ere.