Sometime on the 12th my site started to produce a series of PHP Fatal errors saying “Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted.”. This was a bit of a surprise. It means that my memory limit was 40M, a lot lower than the expected value of 256M. Other times the response was
[13-Jul-2016 02:54:59 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Unknown: Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in Unknown on line 0
256M; a much nicer number.
64M. See wp_initial_constants().
Last updated:July 18, 2016
I’ve had this problem for a while now. I’m happily working away on my Windows PC, editing posts, changing code and testing and then out of the blue comes a
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare message.
But when I press Enter or refresh it goes away.
Last updated:December 14, 2015
I recently updated this site to WordPress 4.3 and immediately started receiving the following PHP Notice.
Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use __construct()
Last updated:May 15, 2016
I recently upgraded my development environment to PHP 5.5.18 with Apache 2.4. Everything seemed to be working fine. But when I tried to upgrade my bleeding edge WordPress environment to WordPress 4.1-beta2 it failed with.
Download failed.: There are no HTTP transports available which can complete the requested request.I spent some time analysing the problem and found it to be that I hadn’t enabled CURL. But when I did enable CURL, it still didn’t work. Looking at the number of reports in Stack Overflow this seems to have been a fairly common problem, with a variety of workarounds, many of which don’t actually address the basic issue. Here’s my solution.
Last updated:November 21, 2014
For the latest version of Problem Solving, where the verses are now called Steps, are correctly numbered and link to further details in the form of a presentation see Problem Solving – The annotated poem – October 2019
The top ten questions to ask when something doesn’t work.
Last updated:January 6, 2020
It’s nearly a month since WordPress 3.9 was officially released. I finally upgraded my local version. Then things went wrong. Turns out I’d not tested my new oik-batch plugin on WordPress 3.9 after all.
Last updated:August 18, 2014