Over the past few weeks I’ve been updating the premium version of my WooCommerce weight zone shipping extension. oik-weight-zone-shipping-pro v0.1.0 is now available from oik-plugins.com. This version has three enhancements: support for WPML and WooCommerce MultiLingual, support for shipping classes, and a self update capability. [Read more…]
After the latest update to Windows 10, my Windows temporary directory was updated such that I re-encountered some of the problems I’d experienced earlier in the year. When I fixed the problem I didn’t write down the actions that I’d taken to restore access to my own files. This time I did. [Read more…]
For every new release of WordPress, plugin and theme developers are expected to test that their products are compatible with the new version, and to update their “Compatible up to” status. But if you have lots and lots of plugins, how do you test them all? WordPress uses a tool called PHPUnit. Plugins and themes can do the same. This post discusses the solution that I’ve been developing to PHPUnit test my WordPress plugins in situ. [Read more…]
Two versions of my new Weight zone shipping for WooCommerce 2.6 plugin are now available. [Read more…]
This is a simple blog post to test what image I actually see when I view the cached version of a file which once showed “Multiple Rate Weight and Country based shipping” and now shows “Add shipping method”.
The image URL is.
This is the image.
Try it on each of your devices and browsers. On my laptop with Chrome it still shows the “Multiple Rate Weight and Country based shipping” () image. See Jetpack photo cache issue #2752333.
Summary of tests.
|Device browser etc||Displays expected image?|
|Laptop Chrome incognito|
|Laptop Chrome after clearing cache|
|Wife’s Samsung Galaxy Chrome|
|Wife’s laptop Chrome|
|Wife’s laptop Edge|
Attempting to demonstrate the need for being able to clear Jetpack’s photon cache. [Read more…]
This is my bucket list for WordCamp Brighton 2016; things to achieve before I depart at the end of the Contributor day. [Read more…]
It appears that my problem with this site was not a one-off. Quite a few of the sites that I have hosted with TSOhost were affected by the server switch. For some reason during the migration the level of PHP that was chosen was 5.4.45, with memory_limit set to 25M. [Read more…]
Sometime on the 12th my site started to produce a series of PHP Fatal errors saying “Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted.”. This was a bit of a surprise. It means that my memory limit was 40M, a lot lower than the expected value of 256M.
Other times the response was
[13-Jul-2016 02:54:59 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Unknown: Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in Unknown on line 0
To recover from this problem I used ftp to rename Jetpack to Jetpack-f. I was then able to access the site.
- The site was migrated from one host to another.
- The PHP version on the new host was 5.4.45.
- The memory_limit was set to
- For PHP 5.3, 5.5 and 5.6 the memory_limit would have been
256M; a much nicer number.
- By the time WordPress started up the memory limit became
- It’s WordPress that sets this limit, depending on the site. For WPMS it’s
64M. See wp_initial_constants().
I’ve yet to track down the specific plugin/module combination that causes WP to exceed the 4OM limit.
- My oik-bwtrace plugin reports the memory limit on its admin page.
- This is 256M, since WordPress sets it higher in admin pages. Using admin_memory_limit in wp-admin/admin.php.
- I’ve changed my [wp] shortcode to display the memory limit on the front-end.
- For this site the memory_limit has already been set by the hosting company to a high value.
WordPress 5.2.1. PHP: 7.3.7. Memory limit: 768M
- I’m also experimenting with code that displays the current memory_limit in trace records produced by oik-bwtrace. They already optionally display current and peak memory usage, so adding the current memory limit is no big deal.