There is a plugin called shortcake, available from GitHub, which has been touted as an easier way to create shortcodes.
The shortcake UI plugin provides a user interface for interacting with shortcodes.
In some respects it’s similar to the oik shortcode generation logic, which has been in the oik base plugin since v0.3 ( Feb 2011 ).
But the main difference is the way it behaves when you’re using the Visual editor. It attempts to expand the shortcodes and display a preview.
I’ve been working with the plugin to see how and when to integrate oik based shortcodes with the shortcake UI.
On the whole the results have been promising.
But I have quite a few requirements, which I’ll need to raise, and possibly help develop, before I’m satisfied with the solution.
This is a summary of the requirements I intend to raise against shortcake. I’m going to publish this post now, then change each list item to a link when I’ve raised the issue.
- Display shortcode help and name on Insert Post Element Issue:120
- Support more options than dashicons for “images” Issue:121
- Treat default values differently from placeholder Issue:122 – CLOSED – invalid; my programming error.
- Single or multiple post selection list Issue:123
- Deferred loading of shortcode list, syntax and selection lists Issue:124
- Don’t process nested content Issue:126
- No preview for some codes Issue:127
- Support positional (unnamed) parameters Issue:128
- Enclosed shortcodes Issue:129
- Extended select – alternate parameter values Issue:130
- TinyMCE button / Quicktag rather than Add Media Issue:131
- Ability to mark parameters as required Issue:132
- Support parameter name aliases Issue:133
- Support plugin extensions to the shortcode parameters Issue:134
- Support parameters which may also be ‘content’ Issue:135
- Control sort sequence of shortcodes Issue:136
- Filter / search mechanism for shortcodes Issue:137
- Incorporate “catalog” functionality, similar to the oik shortcode server Issue:138
- Examples – can’t be bothered to raise this one.
- oik v2.5-alpha.0130 or higher is required for integration with shortcake
- bbboing – demonstrates a
I’m still working on support for other shortcodes
- oik-plugins.com/shortcode_example/bw_codes-ordered-shortcode-name – Using the [bw_codes] shortcode to display all the currently active shortcodes
- Shortcake – the new shortcode UI plugin
- The original shortcode UI example